Quick Bites: Fun Things I Found Today
Capital Confectioners’ volunteers are still busy wrapping up Day of Sharing details and already on to planning for 2012’s That Takes the Cake! Show, and I’m plugging away at a booklet and other details for my Gummy class in a week and a half, so there’s no time for a themed post right now. So here are some fun links I found today in no particular order:
- She Wears many Hats has a fun, summery entry in the Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Treat Challenge with her Fruity Rice Krispies Kebabs (via bakingaddiction on Twitter).
- Sweet Sugarbelle has yet another genius trick to share: using a pin to mark placement of Hello Kitty eyes and mouth. She also previously shared this technique with her Lego Man cookies. For the record, you can use a similar technique to transfer patterns for carving Jack-O-Lanterns for Halloween: print out your pattern, then use either a pin or a sharp-pointed pounce wheel (that’s the tool name for a toothed wheel on a stick, usually metal, but there are plastic ones for gumpaste used to mimic stitch lines) along the edges of the pattern over your pumpkin to transfer the design in a way that can’t be seen once it has been carved, lit, and put out in the dark night. I use this technique every year for my Jack-O-Lanterns (and yes I’ve neglected to update that page, more recent ones can be found on my blog with the jackolanterns tag).
- BrownEyedBaker posted a recipe for S’mores Cupcakes.
- Celebrations.com has a summery faux-food take on cupcakes by Dollhouse Bake Shoppe: Snow Cone Cupcakes (via CraftGossip).
- Jote of Bless Her Heart posted a recipe for Mrs. Medford’s Ginger Creams. I think I just revealed my Austin Mama affiliations with that link!
- Lastly, the dessert that made me squee with delight when I saw it on CraftGossip this morning: Weelicious has the most darling little peek-a-boo Strawberries and Cream “Elves”.
PS With peaches in season, I’ve been gathering a list of peach recipes. If you’ve got one, email me or post a comment here and it might get featured on a later post! Friday’s post will feature recipes from Day of Sharing, so if you donated a dessert and want to share your recipe, send it to me at press AT capitalconfectioners dot com.